How to cook the perfect steak
Star chef Tristin Farmer from Dubai's Marina Social gives EDGAR a kitchen masterclass.Robert Chilton February 7, 2017
Dubai’s army of foodies will gather this week for the start of Dubai Food Festival. The annual event sees food trucks, masterclasses and great deals spring up across the city, enabling people to experience new dishes, meet the hard-working chefs outside the kitchen and eat at top restaurants for a fraction of the usual price.
Tristin Farmer is chef patron at Jason Atherton’s acclaimed Marina Social and worked with Gordon Ramsay for eight years. Tristin has designed a special menu for Miele Dubai Restaurant Week, which enables diners to try three courses for AED 199.
Tristin and his team will serve dishes such as seared yellowfin tuna with a pickled cucumber and horseradish salsa; chargrilled tiger prawns; and Eton mess. But we asked the 32-year-old Scotsman the most important culinary question of all: how to cook a juicy steak at home.
- Some people like to eat steaks well done. In my personal opinion, that’s the wrong way to have it. But if that’s how you want it, that’s fine.
- I like my steak medium rare. To make a good steak you need to let it warm up first. Take the steak out of the fridge and leave it to sit for half an hour.
- Get your pan really hot. I season the steak with salt on both sides. I don’t use pepper because it can burn in the pan.
- Sear the steak in the pan with just a little oil – vegetable, sunflower or corn oil is good. Don’t use extra virgin olive oil because it burns at a lower temperature and then tastes bitter.
- Cook the steak for two minutes on each side so it’s nice and golden brown.
- To check if it’s ready stick a small knife into the steak and then touch the knife on the inside of your wrist or on your lip. If the knife feels warm the meat is medium rare.
- Let the steak rest for 10 minutes on a plate somewhere warm. A piece of meat is a muscle so when you cook it, it tenses up. As it rests, the meat relaxes, the meat softens, and the juices are reabsorbed back into the steak. Allowing the meat to rest is the most important thing.
- I like my steak with garlic butter, peppercorn sauce or béarnaise - you can’t go wrong with béarnaise sauce.
Dubai Food Festival runs from February 23 to March 11.