18 ½ questions for Formula One ace Jenson Button
We caught up with the former World Champion ahead of his home Grand Prix at Silverstone this weekend.EDGAR staff July 4, 2014
Yes, normally we ask 19 ½ questions of our famous interviewees, not 18 ½. But such is the fast-paced life that a Formula One driver leads... oh you get the point.
1. How would you describe yourself?
As the 2009 Formula One World Champion. That’s a pretty good start, isn’t it?!
2. How would others describe you?
I’d hope they say that I’m a good person to be around. Although, I’m not the best loser – they’d probably mention that, too!
3. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Winning the Formula One world championship is pretty hard one to beat.
4. What is the best feeling in the world?
Winning a race brings you great immediate satisfaction – knowing that you have done everything you could on the day in order to beat everyone else.
5. What is your biggest regret?
I don’t dwell on regrets. I’ve learned to accept my mistakes as part of the process.
6. What do you consider your best attribute?
My overriding determination to win.
Never stop learning - there's always something new you can take onboard.
7. What is your worst attribute?
Er, my overriding determination to win!
8. What is the most important virtue?
Trust – it’s the anchor around which everything else flows.
9. What is something that most people don’t know about you?
Even though I’ve been a Grand Prix driver for 14 years, every time I step into the cockpit I learn something new.
10. Do you have a personal motto?
‘Never stop learning.’ I don’t think you can ever arrive at a point where your knowledge is saturated – there’s always something new to take onboard.
11. What film are you embarrassed that you have never seen?
There are probably a lot! I don’t watch a lot of films, I prefer being outside.
12. What is your biggest luxury?
Time. It sounds kind of cheesy, but it’s the greatest luxury you can have. It’s also appropriate given my partnership with TAG Heuer!
13. What is your favourite watch?
The one I’m currently wearing. It’s the limited-edition McLaren 50 Carrera Calibre 1887 from Tag Heuer. It’s beautiful – sporty, but also classy.
You have to know the right time to take risks. It's a balance that only experience can teach.
14. Are you an early morning or late night person?
I love waking up early, grabbing a good cup of coffee and feeling the sunshine on my face as I head out for a bike ride.
15. How important is it to take risks?
In my career, you have to take risks all the time – but you have to know when is the right time to take them. It’s a balance that only experience can teach.
16. Who is your real life hero?
I don’t have any particular heroes, but I find cyclists and triathletes very inspiring.
17. What’s more important: Quality or affordability?
Quality. I think it’s best to have a few things of a very high quality than it is to have many items that are of a lesser quality.
18. What makes you laugh?
People being stupid.
18 1⁄2. Finish this sentence: Retirement is...
... not for me quite yet! Details: Jenson Button is a brand ambassador for Tag Heuer.